openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling API can be implemented
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 17:12:37 GMT
I have examined some of the materials available for the CSAPI.

Here are my initial observations:

 1. The CSAPI is closely-held by Microsoft.  It is evidently not part of their Open Specifications
set.

 2. Apparently a license agreement is required in order to have the necessary materials and
also learn of any maintenance/change to the API over time.

 3. The implementation is via a DLL that can be registered on Microsoft Windows and thereby
relied upon by Microsoft Office products that will use the CSAPI to access a spell-checker
for a given language.

CONCLUSION

To provide implementations of such DLLs at Apache OpenOffice, these would require a development
offered as open source under the Apache License. This would, by the way, probably impair the
use of spelling lexicons that are provided under incompatible licenses and probably unwelcome
at Microsoft.

It seems to me that the closely-held nature of the CSAPI and requirement for license agreements
is completely out of scope for Apache OpenOffice and not compatible with policies of the Apache
Software Foundation.  This is simply a road we cannot go down.

I suggest that we not go any farther investigating this proposal unless those encumbrances
disappear.

 - Dennis

PS: A third party could engage with Microsoft and supply a CSAPI-accepting implementation.
 That might employ the same tools that AOO employs for processing supplied lexicons.  The
third party would have to navigate the licenses on such lexicons as well and ensure that this
does not introduce any licensing condition that is unacceptable to Microsoft.  The independent
third party also might not be so opposed to empowering the use of CSAPI-delivered spelling
checkers by Microsoft products as I imagine the contributors of lexicons to AOO might be.