openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Development updates
Date Sun, 15 May 2016 16:06:54 GMT

On 05/13/2016 11:03 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been working with Fred Toussi, a very helpful hsqldb developer, on
> many CSV handling improvements to hsqldb, in hopes of eventually using
> hsqldb in place of our dodgy CSV driver in Base (it has far better SQL
> support, joins, subqueries, many scalar functions, etc.). We both wrote
> patches, but work remains on a few last issues. This new driver also still
> has to be developed.

Can you expand on this comment a bit? Although I have not investigated
the code, I'm assuming you mean we use similar CSV import code for both
Calc and Base, and that the indigenous CSV provided by hslqdb is better
for that portion?

> Also I've begun looking at some academic research into automated conversion
> of C++ source code into Java, and playing with a few ideas of my own. I've
> slowly begun making progress developing this converter. It will be a while
> before it's developed enough and conversion of some parts of AOO can start,
> but I have hopes that it will make AOO easier to compile, debug and improve
> by a wider community of developers that it will attract, and make it more
> stable and secure. If this doesn't save AOO, I doubt anything will.
>
> What have the rest of you been up to?

Well, not much for AOO, I'm afraid. :(
I've had many personal issues over the last few months to attend to.
Hoping to get back into things very soon -- and replace my aging
computer. :(