openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing all tracking from AOO sites
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 21:36:56 GMT

> I don't want to get too fussy, but we are talking about different statistics here.  Comment
inline.

they serve and should have nothing to do with what we do on our web pages with regard to Google
Analytics, etc.

> Knowing the browser information, including default OS and language preference, is different
than knowing what download, if any, they are requesting.  I suspect SourceForge has that information
on the click-throughs to where they serve the requests, whether or not we provide tracking
on the AOO pages.

That is correct. So whatever is "collected" from the download page vis a
vis browser, OS, OS version, etc, would be the same OS version info that
would be available for collection by SourceForge. But, I don't know what
SourceForge collects in this regard, if anything. What we see from that
site is downloads based on filename. They may not be saving any of the
client information.

Of course, the visits to www.openoffice.org/download do NOT
automatically translate to an actual download.