openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing all tracking from AOO sites
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 21:53:46 GMT

On 05/20/2016 12:19 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

>>> Ever heard of Big Data? This information will be correlated along with
>>> the latest
>>> searches and will be sold for commercial value to other companies and
>>> will also
>>> likely be available to the governments of the world at request. For
>>> whatever
>>> Mr. Trump may find it useful is another matter.
>>
>> I understand broadly what your concerns are. But really, in this day and
>> age, almost ANY website you visit has some sort of tracking mechanisnm
>> in place. Next time you "visit" anywhere, you might want to check this.
>>

> That others do it, doesn't mean we should. Do we at least respect the
> "do not track" settings in the browser?

Well...I've been looking in this as well as communicating with Rob Weir
who originally set up our GA process. I would *think* but can't verify
for sure if DNT is respected by Google Analytics. Without knowing the
internals of what happens with this option -- does the browser actually
DO something to your IP address for example to cause this to happen or
??? -- it's difficult to answer this. There is another option in GA
we're not currently using, anonymize_IP, which I'm investigating. We
will definitely add this option as soon as I can figure this out.