openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing all tracking from AOO sites
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 19:19:55 GMT

>> Ever heard of Big Data? This information will be correlated along with
>> the latest
>> searches and will be sold for commercial value to other companies and
>> will also
>> likely be available to the governments of the world at request. For
>> whatever
>> Mr. Trump may find it useful is another matter.
>
> I understand broadly what your concerns are. But really, in this day and
> age, almost ANY website you visit has some sort of tracking mechanisnm
> in place. Next time you "visit" anywhere, you might want to check this.

That others do it, doesn't mean we should. Do we at least respect the
"do not track" settings in the browser?

>> Worst of all, we are not getting any value from this tracking ... let's
>> stop it now.
>
> Well this last statement is NOT true. For the download page especially,
> it is valuable because we can find out generally what OS the user is
> using, complete with version information. I mean in a bulk sense.

How valuable is that? How does us it bring us any nearer towards having
an Android/iOS port? We already have counts from downloads statistics
and we know at least 80% of our users get the Windows port.

Pedro.