openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de>
Subject Re: What is the right trademark labeling for AOO
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:49:54 GMT
Hello,

> ​Good questions. In the US, there is a differentiation
> between the use of
> the "TM" symbol, for common-use terms, and the "R" symbol for
> registered
> trademarks.​

Yes, clear.

> ​ For "Apache OpenOffice", the product, you should use:
>
> ​Apache OpenOffice™
>
> In this case the complete product name, Apache OpenOffice, is
> a common use
> trademark.

OK, i understand. I will use this notation.

> The ASF has applied for a registered trademark of OpenOffice,
> formerly held
> by Sun//Oracle. When that is complete, we will be able to use:
>
> Apache OpenOffice®

So Apache has the rights to "Open Office" already applied and it is currently only a question
of bureaucracy to Apache receives this?
(With "bureaucracy" i mean only that no one blocks the claim of Apache legally.)

The trademark of "OpenOffice" from SUN/Oracle was abandoned in DE, see:
https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/register/300514859/DE
and for the EU, I see so far no entry.

Greetings,
Jörg