openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Attracting new developers
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:03:48 GMT
Am 07/20/2016 07:51 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> OpenOffice really needs more developers, especially build experts but
> also programmers in general.
>
> We do have a web page, http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html,
> but it it not very obvious and tends to emphasize non-programming
> contributions. Those are very valuable, but we have far too few developers.
>
> I only found out about the need for developers by reading
> board@apache.org, a mailing list that is available to a few hundred
> people. Meanwhile, it's a quiet day if there are less than 100,000
> downloads.
>
> The download page, https://www.openoffice.org/download/, could have a
> "Developers Needed" block similar to the "Help Spread the Word" block,
> linking to http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html.

that's possible. But an additional message box on the main webpage could
also help to get the attention.

Let me think about all this in the next days (maybe weekend?).

> If this does get us some more developers, I am volunteering to shepherd
> and organize them. I don't think just telling them to pick something to
> work on is an effective way of getting them started - we seem to lose a
> lot of people at that point.

Thats great as this would be a question because it is a key point that
we need to satisfy: How to please new devs with mentors and work? ;-)

Marcus