openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Putting Windows First ( was RE: null)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:56:54 GMT
On 7/13/2016 10:38 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From: Damjan Jovanovic
>> [mailto:damjan@apache.org]
..
>> By the way, AOO code and build process are very *nix-centric,
>> leading to Windows being such a pain to develop for, that we would
>> gain more by dropping Windows support, than by dropping all other
>> platforms ;-).
> [orcmid]
>
> Yes.  I already made the point that, from the perspective of
> developers, development of Windows is very contorted and development
> for Linux is a pleasure.  It was done that way for the convenience of
> Linux-oriented developers.  It creates an awful on-ramp for
> cultivation of new developers.
>
> The question: How does ceasing support for Windows serve the 87% of
> our current user base?  The technical act is within the power of the
> PMC to determine, and release managers could force the outcome. In my
> estimation, the consequences would be quite terrible.
>
> We may be "stuck between a rock and a hard place."
>>
>> Damjan

I would like to suggest a way of squeezing out from between the rock and
hard place, and getting more developers:

Separate out the Windows build process. Pick one of the common IDE's,
and create a project file that sets all environment variables for
Windows. Get as close as possible to the step-by-step build instructions
for Windows being:

Check out the source from SVN.

Open the project file in $IDE$.

Build it.

In particular, use of a UNIX-derived shell must not be required for
Windows builds.

In this vision, the core work would be done on Windows, using an IDE.
There would still be a need for a small number of Linux etc. people to
handle building for their environments, and to keep the Windows-based
developers from building in unwarranted assumptions.