openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Attracting new developers
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:25:03 GMT

On 7/20/2016 12:03 PM, Marcus wrote:
> Am 07/20/2016 07:51 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> OpenOffice really needs more developers, especially build experts but
>> also programmers in general.
>>
>> We do have a web page, http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html,
>> but it it not very obvious and tends to emphasize non-programming
>> contributions. Those are very valuable, but we have far too few
>> developers.
>>
>> I only found out about the need for developers by reading
>> board@apache.org, a mailing list that is available to a few hundred
>> people. Meanwhile, it's a quiet day if there are less than 100,000
>> downloads.
>>
>> The download page, https://www.openoffice.org/download/, could have a
>> "Developers Needed" block similar to the "Help Spread the Word" block,
>> linking to http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html.
>
> that's possible. But an additional message box on the main webpage could
> also help to get the attention.
>
> Let me think about all this in the next days (maybe weekend?).

The more places we call attention to the need, the more likely users are
to find out about it. I picked the page I did because when I want to
install software package X I type in Google "download X", and usually
pick the first hit. For "Download OpenOffice" that is the download page.

>> If this does get us some more developers, I am volunteering to shepherd
>> and organize them. I don't think just telling them to pick something to
>> work on is an effective way of getting them started - we seem to lose a
>> lot of people at that point.
>
> Thats great as this would be a question because it is a key point that
> we need to satisfy: How to please new devs with mentors and work? ;-)

If we only get a few responses I plan to work with them individually. In
many cases my role will be to answer questions for which I happen to
know the answer and not be embarrassed to ask questions that reveal my
ignorance if necessary.

If we get a lot of responses I'll try to form them into mixed-skill
teams such that the members of each team can help each other.