openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Attracting new developers
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:51:08 GMT
OpenOffice really needs more developers, especially build experts but
also programmers in general.

We do have a web page, http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html,
but it it not very obvious and tends to emphasize non-programming
contributions. Those are very valuable, but we have far too few developers.

I only found out about the need for developers by reading
board@apache.org, a mailing list that is available to a few hundred
people. Meanwhile, it's a quiet day if there are less than 100,000
downloads.

The download page, https://www.openoffice.org/download/, could have a
"Developers Needed" block similar to the "Help Spread the Word" block,
linking to http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html.

If this does get us some more developers, I am volunteering to shepherd
and organize them. I don't think just telling them to pick something to
work on is an effective way of getting them started - we seem to lose a
lot of people at that point.