openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Internationalization of 4.1.2-patch1 (was RE: a question about "APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat")
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2016 18:26:19 GMT
All of the information on the release of 4.1.2-patch1, including readmes and messages from
the patch install and uninstall scripts, is in English.  See
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/hotfix.html> and the
Readme files.  Also, the Windows package contains install and uninstall scripts that provide
messages in English.

It would be useful for there to be internationalization of the texts and messages, especially
for the Windows version.

If the proportion of languages chosen for downloads is an useful guide,

    English language is selected for over 40% of downloads.

If French, German, Italian, and Spanish were also supported, then a total of 75% of all downloads
would be covered.

To reach 90%, add Japanese, Russian, Polish, Dutch, and Portuguese (BR).

Supplementing the 4.1.2-patch1 files in this manner is possible, if committers are willing
to provide translations.  To submit a translation for the Windows case, we need a translation
of the README and of the text messages presented by the APPLY and REVERT scripts in the Zip
for Windows.  These must be supplied by an OpenOffice committer who can provide a PGP signature
on their submission, or they must be submitted to the project and a committer familiar with
the language accepts them.

 - Dennis

PS: This does not impact the placing of the current packages into general distribution.  Additional
languages can be provided in supplemental distributions.