openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1 Source
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2016 20:55:29 GMT

[ ... ]
> $ svn co
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/source
>
> $ dos2unix apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1.zip.md5
>
> (this is needed as apparently md5sum will get confused by newlines in
> the checksum file).
>
> $ md5sum -c apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1.zip.md5
> apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1.zip: OK
>
> $ dos2unix apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1.zip.sha256
> $ sha256sum -c apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1.zip.sha256
> apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1.zip: OK
[ ... ]
[orcmid]

I believe PGP protocol is clever about line-ending differences, canonicalizing text streams
as part of verifying signatures (and reading the signature block).  Windows developer tools
tend to be forgiving in that manner as well although it might not help if the results are
given back to folks using *nix systems.

It's possible that using the Unix-compatible versions of the .md5 and .sha256 text formatting
will work better, since the Windows-native versions of md5sum and sha256sum may be more forgiving.

Oh, and the SVN config should be changed to recognize .md5 and .sha256 files as text and to
be handled with respect to native.  I suspect that the default *in* the SVN should be Unix-style.

Time to run some experiments.

 - Dennis

PS: I just added

*.asc = svn:eol-style=native;;charset=UTF-8
*.md5 = svn:eol-style=native
*.sha256 = svn:eol-style=native

To my SVN config file.

Once we have the files in default SVN line-ending texts on the SVN, we can check how well
that works when the files are checked-out and also when the files are accessed directly from
the repository via http.

Note, the charset=UTF-8 should also be used for KEYS files also, which need to work without
character-set translation and not have code-page/single-byte interchange problems.  We have
conflicts between UTF-8 and Western European (ISO 8859-1) in our KEYS file right now.  That's
a separate problem that needs to be handled by configuring PGP tools to use UTF-8 instead
of what is the default on a given machine and operating system and which breaks across the
international reach of the ASF and Apache OpenOffice.