openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Planning for emergency releases
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 20:40:33 GMT

[ ... ]

> Meanwhile, it is interesting for contemplating a ready-to-release
> strategy. We would need to pick a step at which to hold a release that
> minimizes the time to put in one critical fix and ship it.
[orcmid]

It strikes me that an always-existing candidate for a ready to release is the last-previous
stable release.

The biggest reason is that there only needs to be regression testing, since it is presumably
well-established that said release is stable and that has been confirmed on the ground by
the success of users.

There could be something else that is close, but it strikes me that would probably be a pending
maintenance release that is basically about bug fixes and any simple things.

I note that, for changing the installer, something we would like to do, the rebuild of a stable
release at least needs to be done and checked to see that the install produces the same result.
 If that were tested to satisfaction, it would also qualify as a ready-to-release base without
having to be put in the wild.

 - Dennis