openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Don Lewis <truck...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release 4.2: General Topics
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2016 07:37:46 GMT
On 24 Aug, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
> Don Lewis <truckman@apache.org> wrote:

>> Someone should fix the broken spellcheck problem.  It generates a lot of
>> complaints from our users.
>>

> The "broken spellcheck problem" seems largely to be caused by over hasty close-down of
the computer before cached files (both hardware and software caches) are properly written
to disk.  User education is the answer - educate them to be patient in closedown and wait
for disk activity to finish before power-off.

Maybe using fsync() to flush things out faster when shutting down the
app and keeping a backup copy of the config would help avoid the
problem.   We shouldn't just silently fail when something is corrupt.

I've even experienced this myself on my FreeBSD desktop which stays on
24x7 and has an UPS.  It took me quite a while to notice spellcheck
wasn't working.  I just thought my spelling was unusually good ;-)