openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: [PACKAGING 4.1.2-patch1 Binaries] (was RE: [TESTING] Applying openoffice-4.1.2-patch1 for Windows)
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:09:15 GMT
> 9. aug. 2016 kl. 13.23 skrev Carl Marcum <cmarcum@apache.org>:
> Could we use a cross-platform installer like izpack [1]?
>
> I started trying it out last weekend and it looks like it could do the job of running
a rename script and copying in the library.

I previously used izPack for cross platform install of a Tomcat application.
You can develop custom plugins for izPack as well as custom scripts, so creating something
which looks for AOO in a number
of predefined locations, and also validates the correct version dependency, would probably
be within reach as well.
I think you can tell izPack to do actions with elevated privileges.

I also tested generating a Windows-executable wrapper using Launch4J (http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/
<http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/>), and it worked well.
The resulting exe file is self contained, will auto-resolve any installed JRE on the system,
or display a popup with
Java download link if it cannot find Java on the system. Launch4J can also generate executable
wrappers for macOS but
I did not try that. Both izPack and launch4j can be built from e.g. an Ant build script.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com