openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planning for emergency releases
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2016 17:25:48 GMT
On 10/08/2016 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> On 8/9/2016 2:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>> How do we go about getting trained as release manager?
>> By making a release, or two.
> If we only do two or three releases a year, we will only be able to
> train release managers are a rate of about two a year. Is that fast
> enough to be able to ensure we always have a designated release manager?

We don't need 50 release managers. We need a community-wide
understanding of various issues related to releases, so one properly
communicated release can be enough to get many people trained. You will
find out that most of the work cannot be documented: making a release is
a community effort, requiring coordination and collective thinking; the
technical/predictable part is minor.

> Last time I tried finding documentation I found a lot about what steps
> were needed, but very little about how to actually do the steps.

Start with the first step. Continuing this discussion just for the sake
of talking won't help anyone. So, if you are volunteering for
coordinating a 4.1.3 release, just start a thread about it, describe
what you believe should go into it and what not. This may of course
change with time; start with a reasonable assumption and then the
release will contain something more or something less depending on what
others do.

But again, don't worry too much about the process. A lot of people here
are familiar with releases and may be able to help. For sure we won't
settle on weekly releases, but on the other side we shouldn't let one
year pass since our 4.1.2 release before making another one. (I would
prefer to focus on 4.2.0, but that is another matter and you feel more
confident in coordinating a 4.1.3 release I'll help you nonetheless;
just start).

Regards,
   Andrea.