openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ready to setup release build machines?
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2016 17:46:14 GMT
On 19/08/2016 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I thought that the basic requirement is that the release manager(s) do
> any builds on a machine under their [exclusive] individual control.

This way one would need to rely on individual volunteers to coordinate
for a release. It is not impossible, of course. All our Apache
OpenOffice releases have used this model so far. But a shared
environment allows for knowledge sharing. And a developer can always
clone the shared VM locally for total control on his builds (assuming
trust between the PMC members having access). Or he can rebuild his
environment from scratch, but always with a "reference" VM that he can
inspect.

Anyway I'm not going to start the effort unless someone says that this
could be useful for Windows builds too.

> I believe that Andrea has the private key that was issued for that but we have not managed
to use it to sign the code.

It was time-limited and it expired. I'm not sure what Infra decided to
do (they were examining options for code signing, with no big preference
for the solution in use; this was about 6 months ago).

> That private key is precious and is not to be shared.

The understanding in this case is that it shouldn't be on shared
infrastructure. But the other benefits of shared environments still hold.

Regards,
   Andrea.