openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release 4.2: General Topics
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2016 16:32:04 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Last translations import were done in 4.1.0 and not 4.1.1 (if I recall
>>> correctly); but this is a minor detail. There are no new languages to be
>>> expected in 4.2.0: we have new languages in Pootle, but I don't think
>>> any of them is ready enough for being released (this may of course
>>> improve with time). ...
> ​Ok, from what I saw in Pootle, it looked like at least were VERY close to
> be added.​

Indeed, work on those 3 languages has progressed more than I expected.
Not 100% but close enough. With a bit a flexibility (which I would
recommend) we could add
https://translate.apache.org/is/
https://translate.apache.org/si/
https://translate.apache.org/ug/

> [from Java 1.5 to *at least* Java 1.7]
> Possible security issues. I can not imagine at this point in time that
> ANYONE is really using java 1.5 as a default java installation. ...
> We can not in good conscience continue to supply software built with the
> old outdated version of Java.

I think we have a misunderstanding here. If you believe that we build
with Java 1.5, open
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.2
then go through all the config.log files in the various dirs and search
for "installed JDK".

I want it to be very clear that all possible insecurity is on the user's
side. Again, this is exactly like saying "Windows XP is unsupported and
OpenOffice won't run on it since we need to educate users" and "solving"
it by inserting an explicit check that makes OpenOffice quit at startup
on XP even if it would run normally there.

This clarification aside, I suggest that we adjourn the discussion to
when there is real code to see: this will avoid misunderstandings.

>>> The this is a bug in configure, needs its own issue and must be checked.
> ​Checked by builders?

No, checked by us. If there is an ant version that passes ./configure
but does not allow a successful build, then configure.ac must obviously
be corrected (again, if you have an issue number this will make things
clearer). I see 1.6.0 (conditional to 1.7.0 depending on the specified
bundle-time extensions) at the moment in configure.ac.

Regards,
   Andrea.