openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Planning for emergency releases
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 21:59:34 GMT
Hi Marcus,

Until AOO can provide a simple auto-update that includes patches then from a user perspective
Patricia is completely correct.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 5, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> Am 08/05/2016 10:43 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> This is mainly a summary of opinions I've already expressed on
>> security@. The discussion does not actually involve anything that needs
>> to be confidential, so it should be taking place on dev@ instead.
>>
>> This is controversial - I expect replies disagreeing with my views. The
>> point of this thread is to hash out the diverging opinions and reach a
>> consensus:
>>
>> [...]
>
> I don't expect many of this kind of issues. Nevertheless, I don't want to install everytime
a complete new release for a fix that is related to 1% (?) of the AOO installation. For me
it would be like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

> Furthermore, what needs to be done on our side:
>
> - more testing if the application is still working when we build every
>  byte new from scratch.
> - upload the files of hundreads of megabytes to SourceForge
> - the connected mirrors need to sync them all
> - earliest after x days the new release is distributed and the downlod
>  is actually working
> - agreement how to increase the version number. Everytime x.y.z+1 just
>  for a little fix?
>
> I hate this comparison but OK. Microsoft has a similar big office suite. But I've never
seen a new release with just a fix. They always provide (more or less) little patch files.
Sure, they will be searched, downloaded and installed automtically, so the user doesn't need
to do much. But still, they are little files.

> Or compare it with a car: You have a little scratch in your paint. Do you really request
a new paint for the complete car in the painter garage?