openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Become the IMAP client for documents [Re: Differentiate or Die]
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2016 16:23:31 GMT
Minor touch-up about OneDrive and Microsoft Office Web Apps.

[ ... ]

> - Since there is no Microsoft Office client on Linux, and neither do
> they have an online editor, it becomes product to become that client to
> Microsoft OneDrive that can also edit or save in .docx format. Now there
> are a few meagre solutions for using OneDrive on Linux, but it is not
> much.
[orcmid]

True, the Microsoft Office Linux client-penetration case is via Android.

However, OneDrive does accept ODT documents and they can be viewed on-line via Microsoft Office
Web Apps (now called Office Online).  There is online editing although it might require being
a Microsoft Office user.  I will have to check that.  Also, it might be that a Linux-operating
browser isn't compatible with what the Web Apps require.

I have attached two PNG that show an ODT being opened in Word Online from OneDrive.  If they
come through, you can see what the Microsoft Office Web apps look like.  The browser in one
case is Internet Explorer 11.  In the second case, I used Chrome (and notice the offer of
an Office Online Extension for Chrome).  In both cases the document is a trivial .odt that
I created just to be able to check to check on the improvement of Office Online support for
ODF over time.

PS: Since I have a Microsoft Lumia (Windows 10) smartphone, I just used the OneDrive application
there to access the same file. In this case, the file requests permission to use an on-line
conversion service and then opens the result as read-only and editing is only available if
I allow the document to be saved in an Office format.
   An unfortunate aspect of this mobile OneDrive client is that it does not show filename
extensions and I don't see any way to change that. There is a thumbnail icon, but it is for
Word, so a .docx of the same name looks like a second copy of the same file.  I have no idea
how the OneDrive application manages and the Office mobile applications work together on Android
and iOS.

> Suppose AOO had its own OneDrive client plugin? That you could use AOO
> to browse and modify, load and save, documents on OneDrive?
>
> Just the same as that Microsoft Office would do, is what I mean. Just
> become cloud-ready. Just allow a person to save on OneDrive.

[ ... ]