openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: What would OpenOffice NON-retirement involve?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 19:55:57 GMT
Am 09/02/2016 04:59 PM, schrieb Phillip Rhodes:
> OK, counter-point to the other thread... let's talk specifically about what
> needs to happen next, given that some (plenty|most|all|???) of us want this
> project to
> continue moving forward.

hm, I can only hope that it the *very* most of us. ;-)

> What has to happen next?  What is the most important thing/things we could
> be
> working on?  What could I do *right now* to help move things in a positive
> direction?

*In my eyes* it's pretty simple:

We need a new release to proof that we can survice as an Apache TLP.

The bad things are:
- we need a release manager for a 4.2.0 or 4.1.3 version.
- we need hardware to get builds for Wndows, Linux and Mac.
- we need a possibility to build on Mac (buildbot or an individual
   machine)
- we need people who can help with build problems on Windows and Mac
- and we need new devs in general

But there are already good things:
- we have a few devs who can build on Linux
- we have a few devs who can work on Linux problems
- we have our buildbots in a more stable way compared with the past
   months (not at 100% but we are working on it)

And the best thing is:
We have already enough food for a new release (many bugfixes, improved
functions, new translations). We just need to bring this onto the road.

> How can we attract more developers?  How do we counter the FUD that is
> already being promulgated in response to the "retirement" discussion?
>   etc...

You should answer to this FUD when:
- you want to fight against all bad things that where written.
- you want to give everyone an answer.
- you have too much time and don't know what to do.
- you want to go to hospital due to a mental disorder which will come
   quicker than you want.

You should *not* answer them when you want to get a different impression
into the people's head.

This fight you cannot win with words. You can convince the people only
with doings. And in our standoff we need hard doings.

With a big porton of sarcasm. I'm sorry for that. But it's hard to come
home from work, find my inbox exploded and read about a good friend who
has left the project due to this b**hit which is going on at the moment. ;-(

Marcus