openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The AOO build system
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2016 18:40:22 GMT
Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>>> 1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?
>> It's ugly. I recall you once built OpenOffice, right? It is not the easy
>> configure + make. Still, it works and the build system is not standing in
>> the way for a release.
> OK, that's good to know.  I got the impression from some earlier
> discussions that it was somehow a major sticking point in terms of getting
> releases out and what-not.  Good to see that that's not the case.

The build system (as in code structure) is not much in the way.
Creating, uploading and releasing binaries, instead, is very time-consuming.

> 3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
>>> thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
>>> dependent solely on developer machines for that?
>> All OpenOffice releases have always been built on machines under control
>> of individual developers.
> Ah, OK.  Is that the desired state of affairs? Or would there be any
> impetus to try to get dedicated build machines that are hosted somewhere
> and used for the binary builds?

There is a (saner than most discussions seen here in the last days)
thread about it: https://s.apache.org/utpy

Most notably, as a Linux user you might want to follow the recipe there
and try to create you own 32-bit CentOS 5 (old, but our baseline for the
moment) VM for building release-ready OpenOffice 32-bit builds.
Everything is done already, but I'll be posting updates to that thread
as soon as I have time for it.

Regards,
   Andrea.