openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about binary upload process
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 22:31:27 GMT
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> we have a lot of binaries to upload.
> Could someone with experience or knowledge of the process tell me a bit
> about how it is done, how long it takes, and what, if anything, it costs
> ASF?

Sure. This changed just days before 4.1.2, but it still holds.

1) You create the binaries. These might be created by different people
too. At the end, you have a few dozen Gigabytes. Note: this must be done
for every release candidate; we had 3 for 4.1.2; I recommend choosing
things/issues wisely so that 4.1.3 can aim at having only 1 RC (i.e.,
getting the first one right).

2) Whoever is in the best position to do so, uploads the binaries to the
ASF. This can be done also by multiple people, who upload to different
subdirs here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/
For all the 4.1.2 RCs I did it alone, from a good connection, and it
took an absurd number of hours since the connection was slow on the ASF
side. Speed may be better now (honestly, I don't see how speed could be
worse). A good trick was to upload artifacts to people.apache.org and
commit from there: this was much faster, but Infra has now disallowed it
by (almost) decommissioning people.apache.org

3) Only the final one must be uploaded to SourceForge; I copy/paste from
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2 section
"Upload builds to mirrors". "Volunteers: Andrea Pescetti - Copy requires
just a few hours, with the normal rsync instructions shown at
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/File%20Management/
(project name is openofficeorg.mirror). Set new files as "Latest
Version": done by Marcus Lange see http://s.apache.org/uaj "; you
probably don't have admin permissions for the OpenOffice project on
SourceForge, but all other members can give you admin access. Just ask.

4) On dist, moving from dev to the actual tree is just a matter of svn
mv. This at least is very fast.

5) Costs: we use standard ASF infrastructure here, and our own time.
Costs for the ASF are just the ordinary running costs that they wpuld
have even if we don't release anything. Waste of storage space due to
storing in SVN hundreds of GBytes of non-approved RCs was not an issue
last time I spoke to Infra about this.

Let me add that Infra provided good support for 4.1.2, especially for
RC1 when we needed some significant configuration changes to accommodate
our RC. These changes are now permanent.

Regards,
   Andrea.