openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release process and 4.1.3
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2016 07:11:12 GMT
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Release+Planning+Template
> It is what I would want to do for a major release with user interface
> changes.

Yes, that one is the template for a 4.2.0, not for a 4.1.3 release.

> We also need something far, far more agile for getting simple bug fix
> releases out quickly and easily. I propose using 4.1.3 as a test case
> for a stripped down process.

Actually, 4.1.2 was exactly this. Your starting point should thus be
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2 ; just
copy the wiki page and edit/generalize accordingly.

> No string changes means we do not need the "String freeze" or
> "Translation phase" steps. No significant changes to external
> interfaces, combined with a small number of relatively simple fixes,
> eliminates the "Beta Release" phase.

This is the difference between a "micro" (third digit) and a "minor"
(second digit) release. Calling it 4.1.3 implies all of this, barring
exceptional situations.

> We still need to pick the bug fixes to go in the release, construct a
> release candidate, test it, write release notes etc.

This is all covered in the link I sent. There might be some steps that
need better clarification though.

Regards,
   Andrea.