openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: 4.1.4 Release Manager?
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 20:33:00 GMT
Am 09/15/2016 09:30 PM, schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Any real reason to name it 4.2.0 ?

as I don't know what your intention of this short sentence is, I feel
that also short answer like "Yes, of course" is maybe not helping. ;-)

The only alternative would be 5.0. Sure, we have many code changes
already done in trunk. However, these are far too less when it comes to
visibility - that is to say, significant improvements that the user can
see and use. Therefore 4.2.0 is the best number to express the current
content of trunk.

BTW (for all, not only Jim):
The following is the release schema that we are using for OpenOffice.

1. Major releases would be a X.y.z (like 4.0.0)

The X implies we have done major changes like a new program module, new
installers, micro modules instead of the big monolithic block,
changed/new API etc. These releases are coming from a new branch of trunk.

2. Minor releases would be a x.Y.z (like 4.1.0)

The Y means we have improved or new features of Calc, changed shape
object in Impress, new translations which would include new strings,
etc. These releases are coming either from a new branch of the one used
for the major release.

3. Micro releases would be a x.y.Z (like 4.1.2)

Z is taken for bugfixes only and should not contain bigger things that
would be better put into a minor release. These releases are coming from
a new branch of the one used for the minor release.

Marcus