openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de>
Subject Re: Differentiate or Die
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2016 17:43:56 GMT
> From: Pedro Giffuni [mailto:pfg@apache.org]

> > > I will simplify the marketing issue making a bold
> statement: "We have
> > > millions of users because we do 80% of what the market leader
> > > does but
> > > with 0% of the price."
> >

> > No, the success of free software is not a question of price.
>
> The success of free software is based on many things, of
> which price is
> only one of them.

Exactly, so I wrote my answer, because I found that you had over-emphasized the factor price

> The GNU copyleftists have always struggled with economics but that is
> rather off-topic.

Please let me clarify: I'm not a specific GNU fan (rather I like the MIT license), but the
linked text contains a nice play on words (in German translation), because in Deutschand the
word "profit" is frowned upon. Therefore I quote this text frequently.

> No one has really quantified the real cost of producing
> OpenOffice

maybe.

But for example as I have my diploma thesis written (*) on the theme:

"Migration Strategies to OpenSource-Software"

and there are also statements about costs of open source, especially for OpenOffice.org (I
mean .org, the diploma thesis is from 2005).

(*)
on the TH Wildau (Germany):
https://www.th-wildau.de/

> Such costs existed before OpenOffice was an Apache Project,
> and we can't
> at all quantify how much OpenOffice's value is for the Apache
> Software
> Foundation.

already clear, the numbers were only an illustration

Jörg