openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: What would OpenOffice NON-retirement involve?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 19:30:52 GMT
On 9/2/2016 11:30 AM, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> On September 2, 2016 10:59:55 AM Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>> OK, counter-point to the other thread... let's talk specifically about
>> what needs to happen next, given that some (plenty|most|all|???) of us
>> want this project to
>> continue moving forward.
>>
>> What has to happen next?  What is the most important thing/things we
>> could be
>> working on?  What could I do *right now* to help move things in a
>> positive direction?
>>
>> How can we attract more developers?  How do we counter the FUD that is
>> already being promulgated in response to the "retirement" discussion?
>> etc...
>
> If you excuse the comment from an outsider, I suggest the question you
> need to answer is: What can Apache OpenOffice offer that related
> projects like LibreOffice cannot?

 From my individual point of view, the biggest single contribution is
actually competition. Monopolies tend to go bad in various ways. I
joined AOO because I want to have a choice of major free office software
suites.

Apache's licensing model opens up additional competition space, because
of the potential for use of our source code in other products, including
but not limited to LibreOffice.