openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Releasing OpenOffice 4.1.3 (reopening the AOO410 branch)
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2016 22:19:57 GMT

On 9/10/2016 3:10 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> I'm going to wait a few hours to see if someone claims to depend on us
>> not changing the branch. Absent a specific issue, I plan to create a
>> 4.1.3 branch, and expect the, not yet selected, 4.1.4 Release Manager to
>> create a branch for it.
>
> OK. After all, I would assume that a downstream packager knows better
> than tracking a side branch, so my concerns might have been exaggerated;
> I know of no real issues.
>
> Note: the branch should be named AOO413 (but I assume you mean this by
> "a 4.1.3 branch"). It should be an "svn copy" of AOO410.

Yes, the convention I would like is that Release x.y.z is associated
with branch AOOxyz. We may need to change the format if any layer goes
beyond one digit, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

> No problem in creating an AOO414 branch even today, and even without an
> appointed Release Manager. Then if we decide not to release 4.1.4 for
> any reasons, we'll trash it or merge it somewhere else; branches are
> quite flexible.

My view on this is that we should check in the changes for 4.1.3, freeze
its code, and then create AOO414 as a copy of AOO413.