openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:36:13 GMT

[ ... ]

> I personaly don't believe in that model for Apache OpenOffice. There is
> no
> need for a customized version of Apache OpenOffice. And the people who
> fork, do it normaly to have there own product. They don't want to
> upstream. But Yes, it is one model, who exist within ASF. Not that I'm
> completely against this way... If someone finds a way, to generate money
> to contribute back, it would be nice. But I don't think it's the right
> way.
>
> I'm more with the payed feature model
[orcmid]

That was also discussed - creation of an external organization that would arrange paid features
and contribute to Apache OpenOffice.  That must be external to ASF.  And either (1) there
are AOO committers who participate in both or (2) AOO committer and PMC must accept the changes
and the AOO project incorporates features in AOO releases.

So the feature organization would need to be able to do everything but make distributions
to provide tested, quality features.  Or have AOO committers in the feature organization to
work on feature branches of AOO SVN.

In all cases, there must be *no* payment process or fund-raising process that involves the
ASF.  That is key requirement #1.  I see that Bertrand Delacretaz has provided a good answer
about this on dev@community.apache.org.

AND

The greatest barrier of all is key requirement #2: finding already-capable OpenOffice developers
who have the capacity and willingness to do such work.  The fees that an OpenOffice features
organization would pay must be enough. Someone with the required at-hand skills can already
earn $100,000 per year and more (in US), with all benefits available where they work.  I do
not know comparable salaries in EU.  I believe it is still expensive in terms of how much
money feature-organization must raise.  Also, providing contract agreements for performance
of feature delivery is also complicated.

There is a great misunderstanding in the user community of how much feature development costs
using developers with professional, at-hand skills.

 - Dennis