openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: future of OpenOffice
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:26:10 GMT

For the average user, the functional differences are irrelevant. More
specifically, most people use only a fraction of the capabilities. LO
offered DOCX support before AOO, and that was a difference noticeable to
most users.

For the hard core devoted follower, there are certainly philosophical
differences related to code reuse, and people who care about that have
probably already figured out that difference and chosen a side. For the
end user, it makes little to no difference. Consider my macro document.
Should I set the license such that you cannot use the samples unless you
open your project? That is closer to LO than AOO.

Apart from that, you are left with questions such as, do I find a user
interface more attractive, a particular feature better supported, or
reliability on my specific platform. My parents use what I choose to
install on their computers.

Andrew Pitonyak