openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Community building: give our User a chance to contribute!
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2017 22:54:30 GMT
A third party like a Team OpenOffice under a name that avoids users confusion with Apache OpenOffice
could raise money and fund development as a separate, independent entity. That's what IBM
did. The entity just needs to be careful about guaranteeing the work will be taken by Apache
OpenOffice.

It really is that simple now. I suppose it was much more confusing while the project was in
the Incubator and all email threads became so emotionally charged and frenetic.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 16, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Raphael Bircher <rbircherapache@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Am .01.2017, 11:00 Uhr, schrieb Jörg Schmidt <joesch@j-m-schmidt.de>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:leginee@gmail.com]
>>
>>> We see in Star citizen how mighty crowd can be.
>>>
>>> Maybe a platform would be great where people can pledge money
>>> for something
>>> they need.
>>> If the needed budget is reached, payed developers implement it.
>>> Or we could do it as a bonus system. You pledge money on a
>>> bug/enhancement,
>>> if the bug gets included in the release the developers get a payout.
>>

>>> This is just an idea. I am not sure if we can do business
>>> within the ASF or
>>> if we have to found a 3rd party entity for this.
>>> If we have to go 3rd party I prefer a cooperative society as
>>> a legal form.
>>> https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/social-economy/cooperative
>>> s/european-cooperative-society_de
>>
>> You are basically right, but let me give the following information.
>>
>> Team OpenOffice was such a project. The participants were mainly experienced OpenOffice
developers from SUN Microsystems.
> I think, the real problem there was this text http://www.opensourceforbusiness.info/openoffice-org-droht-das-aus/
>

>> See:
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20120107200702/http://teamopenoffice.org/de/the-team-de.html
>>
>> But Apache made a front against this project and so it was no chance. The only short-term
result was "White Label Office", see for example:
>> http://www.chip.de/downloads/White-Label-Office_53492033.html
>>
>> I do not want to criticize one-sidedly, here is a different view:
>> http://www.golem.de/1112/88663.html
>>
>> But Apache is the larger party and it would be the task of Apache to recognize opportunities
and bundle forces.

>> This is unfortunately the truth and it is a central problem for OpenOffice.
>
> The only restriction the ASF have is, that you can not collect money in the name of a
project as a third party. And Apache itself does not found defelopment.

> But you can collect money for Features or major bugfixes as a third party. This model
is vor sure easyer to setup, if you have some big company who put a load of money to it. In
my mind is a collaboration with Source Forge. They rich a load of OpenOffice users.