openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <anw...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>
Subject Re: future of OpenOffice
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:00:08 GMT
Am 11.01.2017 um 09:44 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

> For most of my career, the only way I had of earning a living was
> writing software. The FSF's basic philosophy is that programmers should
> have no right to own and control the products of their labor. That does
> not seem very free to me. For that reason, I'll never donate my labor to
> anything that uses their licenses.

The difference between the Apache Licence and the licences, which are
promoted by the FSF, is the so called "Copyleft". The Apache licence has
no copyleft.

But copyleft gives the programmer more and not less control, because
nobody can make a proprietary (non free) product of the code without the
permission of the copyright holder (programmer).

That is why some supporters of copyleftless licence say, that these
licences are more free than licence containing a copyleft.

That is a question, whether you are the user or the creator of the code.

For an enduser of the code copyleft brings potentially more freedom.

If you are a developer, using code under a copyleftless licence is much
easier. But if you are the programmer of the used code, you have more
control, what people do with your product.

Kind regards
Michael