openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Documentation needs
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:20:43 GMT
On 2/14/2017 10:40 PM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:pats@acm.org]
>
>> I'm sure our documentation needs work, and there is someone with
>> writing, editing, and copyediting skills hoping to help. The
>> doc@ list
>> seems to be dead, except for one message posted this year.
>>
>> What would be the best way to get started on improving our website or
>> documentation?
>
> I think the easiest way is to use the wiki and coordinate the work. Start here:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
>
> Previously, much was coordinated by odf-autors:
> http://www.odfauthors.org/
>
> At the moment, I do not know how to create an account in the Wiki, _maybe someone else
can help_?

> Editing the web pages is done with cms, you have to have an account, which you get when
you are committer:

> The German language documentation is _actively_ maintained by the team of the ProOO-Box,
see:
> http://prooo-box.org/live/seiten/dokumentation.html
> (see also the site: https://www.openoffice.org/de/doc/index.html but the documents there
are not up-to-date)

Maybe one place to start on the English documentation would be to pick
up German changes, machine translate, and then polish the result, if the
licensing permits?

> Perhaps one can say more precisely, documentation is not my particular workspace.

I think the real problem is that currently documentation is not in
anybody's workspace. We have at least one volunteer who is interested,
but needs help getting started.