openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Impress problem on linux?
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2017 21:07:19 GMT
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 17:11:40 -0300
Ariel Constenla-Haile <arielch@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/02/17 19:47, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> >> On Linux, OpenOffice uses gstreamer (on Fedora there are tow packages
> >> for the older gstreamer API and the newer gstreamer1 API), besides
> >> installing gstreamer you need to install the plugins, they may have
> >> names like gstreamer-plugins-bad, gstreamer-plugins-bad-free,
> >> gstreamer-plugins-ugly, etc.
>
> [...]
>
> > I'm fairly sure I have these installed; it is too late in my day for detailed work,
so I'll check tomorrow that they are definitely installed.

> AFAIK Ubuntu comes with gstreamer1.0 by default, you need to install
> gstreamer0.10 and its plugins.
>

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

Thank you, Ariel.  When your email arrived I had just come to the same conclusion and was
in process of installing 0.10.  However, my findings are not encouraging.  According to the
Gstreamer site, 0.10 and 1.0 should co-exist.  In my experiments they didn't - perhaps the
order of installation might be important.  I then removed 1.0 and it took with it many of
the utilities of Xubuntu 16.04; even having carried out a fresh installation of 0.10 there
were still problems handling .avi and .mpg files (I only experimented with a known good .avi
and .mpg file).

I've spent long enough fiddling at this - for the few presentations I have using multimedia
(always video in my case), I'll manage with the hyperlink to the system video player or VLC.

As 0.10 is not maintained since 2012, and modern *ubuntu distros are using 1.0, (I have no
knowledge of the situation in other linux distros) perhaps it is time to consider migration
to 1.0 for a future release of AOO.  For information: on the gstreamer site is a note on migrating
0,1 to 1.0.

Thank you for your assistance.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>