openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de>
Subject Re: Increase the number of tables in Calc
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2017 10:09:08 GMT
> From: Pedro [mailto:pedro.lino@openmailbox.org]

> Even if you can increase the number of sheets, the most important
> question is: does ODF support this?

I would have to check, but I do not violate the LO / TDF against the ODF standard.

> Regarding how many sheets: why doesn't AOO let the user
> decide?

That's exactly what it's all about.
Even today, Calc files have only 3 tables and it's decision of the user to create
more. However, there is a limit (256) to the top, and this limit should be
increased.

> Gnumeric
> has an option to allow the user to select the number of rows
> and columns
> in a sheet (since at least 2011). Why not add that and also allow to
> select the maximum number of sheets?

That is _exactly_ the point.

Only this is a practical question, because the table number should increase as
soon as possible and if unlimited number does not go immediately is initially 1024
better than no improvement.

> Of course this would create a spreadsheet file that could
> only be opened
> in AOO...

LO and MS Excel can also open such files ... already today.

> If ODF supports this but other implementers don't,
> how could
> users be warned that data is lost when they open the file in
> any other
> ODF editor?

It displays a warning, as it is already today in the case AOO.

Greetings,
Jorg