openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Bugzilla
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 20:04:49 GMT
On 5/20/2017 9:07 AM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Am .05.2017, 16:32 Uhr, schrieb esh1907 <esh1907@gmail.com>:
>
>> Maybe we should try to locate and convince people who used to work during
>> Star and Sun Microsystems to rejoin the project?
>
> I think this is the wrong way to go. We can't get the good old time
> back. What we need is fresh business blood. Not companies who use
> OpenOffice, Companies who help develop the project. Without this we will
> face a slow dead. A project in this size need professional developers.
>
> But companies don't com just to put money in, they want something back
> (normally). SUN and IBM was a big exception. The point is, we are not
> attractive for Companies at the moment. There is no room to make money.
> We should start getting attractive for companies.

We may need both. If a company got interested in AOO today, they would
be presented with the same problem as I'm fighting: a large, complicated
body of code that seems to have been modified by separate departments -
just because I find out how something works in writer, it does not mean
I know how it works in calc.

A retired Sun or StarOffice person who understands how the code is put
together could save me a lot of time. My current low level objective is
to find where to put a break point to intercept a double click on OLE
substitute text. A few minutes of e-mail response from someone who
knows, or knows how to find out, might save me hours or days. The same
would apply to the professional developers you want.