openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Bugzilla
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 08:14:11 GMT
Am 20.05.2017 um 06:23 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
>> From: Marcus [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]
>
>> absolutely, we need volunteers that would then work on these bug
>> reports. Assumed they *are* valid bugs and not "how can I do this and
>> that" questions. ;-)
>
> yes, right, but that's not what I mean.

maybe, but I was talking about more than just developers. Sure, we need
more but we need also man-power to work on the additional reports.
Currently we have a large number of them open and it won't get less in
the future when the proposal comes true. ;-)

> I mean we need developers who fix the bugs. And there are two problems:
>
> (a)
> We do not have enough developers (ok, we have to see what the future brings)
>
> (b)
> The existing developers work voluntarily and do what they want - how do we get them to
fix _specific_ bugs?
> Please understand what I mean: there are issues (respectively bug reports) that are important
for the users, but not interesting for the developers. How do we motivate developers to work
on _these_ issues?

In project of volunteers we haven't hard arguments to say what one "has"
to do (like salary, promotion, more things that work well in the private
economy business).

But in general, I would also expect that there is a base of
self-motivation and an eye for the important things.

> btw:
> A spontaneous suggestion for (b)
>
> We could put 50 issues to vote for each release of OO separately and fix the 10 which
get the most votes from users.
> By this I do not mean to fix only 10 bugs per release, but the developer's willingness
to fix 10 specific bugs, which interest the users, in addition to fixed, no matter whether
the developers keep these bugs important.

The votes can be a good start. To generate a list of intersting and
valuable (for the users) things to fix or implement.

Marcus