openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Old AOO referencing in Google
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 22:29:04 GMT
Am 10.05.2017 um 23:37 schrieb Simon Phipps:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
>> However, it doesn't matter. There is no reason to provide download pages
>> to offer outdated versions - based on w.oo.o. Of course we cannot influence
>> what others are offering on their webpages.
>
> I disagree. I and users I support have often had reason to download old
> versions of software. The most common cause is because they are using an
> outdated operating system they can't change for some reason, but sometimes
> a feature or a bug of a given version is needed.

then you should know - as a good Apache OpenOffice supporter - our
download webpage: http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Either just select the old version you need.

Or choose the item "Older releases" if you need a way older version.
Then you can get it - by clicking on the Archive link - from our archive.

Even when you start with Google by searching for "openoffice download
old version" the first search result is the link to our archive.

> There's no need to promote them, but removing them is a mistake.

We don't promote these downloads (where have you read that?) nor was it
linked somewhere on our website. Google is just grabbing everything it
gets for its search index. This is the only reason it's visible in the
results.

Why it is leading to user confusion can be read in the forums post Hagar
has forwarded here. And other users - compared to the forums user -
maybe don't know what the most current version is and think 3.4.1 (or
whatever) is the one they search for and will download it.

So, there is actually a good reason to avoid this.

Marcus