openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <delest.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bugzilla
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 17:15:57 GMT
Le 20/05/2017 à 18:07, Raphael Bircher a écrit :
> But companies don't com just to put money in, they want something back (normally). SUN
and IBM was a big exception. The point is, we are not attractive for Companies at the moment.
There is no room to make money. We should start getting attractive for companies.

The only one I would see is Canonical. But i still don't understand why they chose LibO.
What other company would invest money in a MS Office competitor???
In addition to the investment in the development (meaning manpower cost but also the time
needed to get the equivalent features they already have in MS Office), there would also be
the training of the users, the migration of the existing tools and files (especially macros)
and the problem of the format interoperability with the people this company deals with.
That's too much for companies to think about it IMHO. Or perhaps Google but what for?

Is there any company that invests substantially in LibO BTW (just a question, I really don't
know)?
When I see all the migrations (mostly to LibO because it's much more dynamic and they are
good at marketing their project), I just see bodies (often administrations) who want to cut
costs but without major investment, they just take it because it serves their cause but I
doubt there is any will to go further for them (I mean dedicate manpower to help the project).

I thought when OOo was given to Apache that the licensing would give interest to the project
for companies but it did not happen at all. Less restrictive licensing attracts most of the
devs. This is part of the world evolution today I guess: people want more free sharing, or
at least want to avoid that their code can be used for commercial when they give it for free.

So I'm not very optimistic.
Hopefully someone has brighter clues.

Hagar