openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de>
Subject Re: Bugzilla
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 14:34:31 GMT

> From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]

> Here are some of mine. I am sure others differ.
>
> (1) investigate and fix security holes.

+1

> (2) frequent releases.

+-0 or -1

In practice, a time interval of 12-15 months would be sufficient.

Note: the release cycle of LO is much too short, even if this is always presented as an advantage.
I could write "imho", but the truth is that the one is a tangible practice problem for professional
office users. Because I offer commercial support for OO and LO, I know what I'm talking about.

> (3) near one to one conversion to and from Microsoft Office.

+-0

Do you know the story of the hare and the hedgehog? http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm187.html

Yes, the users want that, but would not it be right and honest to tell the users:
'if you want MS Office, then use MS Office and not OO'

> (4) deconflicted feature requests.

I do not know what you mean specifically with "deconflicted".

> What do people think?

I think _in the present situation_ it is better to work more and to discuss less.

I am unfortunately not a programmer of OO, but I support the project with user support, as
a member of the project www.prooo-box.org and as a moderator in the forum http://openoffice.org.
I have regularly supported the project through translations of the release notes into the
German language.

greetings,
Jörg