openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Bugzilla
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 15:10:16 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 21, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Jörg Schmidt <joesch@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
>

>> From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
>
>> Here are some of mine. I am sure others differ.
>>
>> (1) investigate and fix security holes.
>
> +1
>
>> (2) frequent releases.
>
> +-0 or -1
>
> In practice, a time interval of 12-15 months would be sufficient.

More frequent releases are needed for two reasons.

- security fixes
- making sure we have several people who can be release manager.

Feature releases can be on an interval you describe.

> Note: the release cycle of LO is much too short, even if this is always presented as
an advantage.
> I could write "imho", but the truth is that the one is a tangible practice problem for
professional office users. Because I offer commercial support for OO and LO, I know what I'm
talking about.

>> (3) near one to one conversion to and from Microsoft Office.
>
> +-0
>
> Do you know the story of the hare and the hedgehog? http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm187.html
>

> Yes, the users want that, but would not it be right and honest to tell the users:
> 'if you want MS Office, then use MS Office and not OO'

Users want to convert to AOO but cannot easily. Users want to share with friends on MSFT.
Having a great divide is not tenable. Perhaps this is an extension.

>> (4) deconflicted feature requests.
>
> I do not know what you mean specifically with "deconflicted".

Raphael mentioned that feature requests bite each other. In prioritizing these we should pick
which way.

>> What do people think?
>
> I think _in the present situation_ it is better to work more and to discuss less.

Agreed, but I'd still like to know what others think.

as a member of the project www.prooo-box.org and as a moderator in the forum http://openoffice.org.
> I have regularly supported the project through translations of the release notes into
the German language.

Thank you.

Regards,
Dave