openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Raphael Bircher" <rbircherapa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bugzilla
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 20:43:25 GMT
Hi Patricia

Am .05.2017, 22:04 Uhr, schrieb Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>:

> On 5/20/2017 9:07 AM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Am .05.2017, 16:32 Uhr, schrieb esh1907 <esh1907@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Maybe we should try to locate and convince people who used to work
>>> during
>>> Star and Sun Microsystems to rejoin the project?
>>
>> I think this is the wrong way to go. We can't get the good old time
>> back. What we need is fresh business blood. Not companies who use
>> OpenOffice, Companies who help develop the project. Without this we will
>> face a slow dead. A project in this size need professional developers.
>>
>> But companies don't com just to put money in, they want something back
>> (normally). SUN and IBM was a big exception. The point is, we are not
>> attractive for Companies at the moment. There is no room to make money.
>> We should start getting attractive for companies.
>
> We may need both. If a company got interested in AOO today, they would
> be presented with the same problem as I'm fighting: a large, complicated
> body of code that seems to have been modified by separate departments -
> just because I find out how something works in writer, it does not mean
> I know how it works in calc.
>
> A retired Sun or StarOffice person who understands how the code is put
> together could save me a lot of time. My current low level objective is
> to find where to put a break point to intercept a double click on OLE
> substitute text. A few minutes of e-mail response from someone who
> knows, or knows how to find out, might save me hours or days. The same
> would apply to the professional developers you want.
I don't think, that this people are already retired, they are not old
enough. And people from the pre SUN time bring not a load of benefit. Most
of the code has changed since 1998. AFAIK one of the oldest part is the
build in file picker (not the native one) He goes back to 199x.

But you are right, the ex people from SUN would be value. If the
commercial situation of Apache OpenOffice changes, we can maybe get some
of them back.

But what I want to say, we should not waste the time and try to restore
the old project. OpenOffice is old, in the IT world very old. Things
change from time to time. I don't say to scrap the old model immediately.
Maybe we should invite people from the whole ASF to discuss how a modern
Office Suite looks like. I believe we are to strong focused on the old
concept. Sometimes this blocks new ideas and scares also companies with
new ideas away.

Regards, Raphael