openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kovacs <leg...@posteo.de>
Subject Re: [Discussion] build tool
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2017 18:18:03 GMT
Am Dienstag, den 05.09.2017, 17:59 +0200 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Peter Kovacs <petko@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > To be honest I am not very happy with gmake and ant. It is
> > difficult to
> > add the functionality to Eclipse. Also we stay dependant for
> > Windows on
> > Cygwin or Windows Subsystem for Linux, which feels to me awkward.
> > Also
> > if we want to have people develop on Windows. A good build
> > environment
> > is vital.
> >

> What do you mean by "add the functionality to Eclipse"?
>
> On Windows, I don't think our (new) Ant projects need Cygwin or
> Windows
> System for Linux to open in Eclipse after AOO is built. Do they?
If I want to be able to build inside the IDE I need to teach the IDE
what to do. If the Eclipse just could support Open Office out from the
box all Development task will be easier to do. And even our small team
of volunteers could do the maintenance, even implement features.

*sight* What a Challenge this Pile of Code is!

> > Ressources to read for more info:
> > Apache maven - https://maven.apache.org/index.html
> > Nar-maven-plugin - http://maven-nar.github.io/#
> > Eclipse Connector for the plugin - https://github.com/maven-nar/m2e
> > -nar
> >
> > What are your thoughts? - Have not found any Discussion in the
> > archive
> > in this direction before.
> >

> In their presentation, "Unsupported" (page 29) includes showstoppers
> like
> "binaries" and "linking with shared libraries" (!!), making it
> completely
> unusable to 99% of our modules without major changes.

Thanks for pointing out. I have a check. Linking with shared Libraries
is kind of essential in total. I mean not only for us.

> There's also no Objective C.
Yes I saw. CDT is sadly also not suporting Objectif-C. The hole
complexity stays a challenge.

There are some words that the plugin supports the native Compilers.
I thought maybe that this is not so difficult to add on the building
site.

> > If okay I would like to evaluate on the feasability. If I talk to
> > people I will just say that I am evaluating. No desicion has been
> > taken
> > or requested.
> > It is because I think If I start talking it is quite opvious where
> > come from. Dont do that many Public projects ;) Especially on
> > Github.
> > (I also invite you to have a look ;) )
> >

> If you do, please have a look at main/solenv/inc and
> main/solenv/gbuild for
> what's involved as well. It's easy to overlook the vastness and
> complexity
> of our existing build systems, after all we have custom toolchains
> doing
> custom localization, custom configuration, custom testing, custom
> "javadoc"-like documentation, custom everything. Porting *those* to
> something else is **hard**, and even the gbuild migration didn't try
> to do
> that. Also those custom makefiles/tools/scripts needs awk, Perl,
> grep, sed,
> zip, and other *nix utilities themselves, hence also the need for
> Cygwin...
Thanks,  also a good hint. *Phew* Well seems like everything beyond
pure bugfixing is hard work.

> Damjan

All the best
Peter