openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Switch to Git?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:24:43 GMT

On 14.09.2017 13:10, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can we please switch to using Git instead of Subversion for AOO's source?
>
> I don't know how much justification you want/need. Git is huge nowdays, by
> far the most popular VCS worldwide, the one most developers know and IDEs
> support (https://rhodecode.com/insights/version-control-systems-2016). It
> would help us with local branches for testing and experimenting offline,
> git bisect for regression testing, it's efficient with large projects, it
> would integrate with GitHub better, etc.
>
> What do people think?
>
> Damjan

As much as I prefer GIT for Codemaintenance, I think the central REPO
should be maintained by Apache Infra.
If Infra can move to git, fine. If they do not support it, it is also
fine to me.

I am at -1 to have our official REPO on GITHUB or another service provider.

And I am not sure if we can not work around the problem to commit to SVN
from a GIT repo.
Have to check.

All the best
Peter