openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: English Students for dicumentation
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2017 17:39:37 GMT
On 9/15/2017 5:37 AM, Peter kovacs wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Do we have document work for Students?
> Can someone contact the professor  bellow who has an idea what our status on documentation
is?

> All the best
> Peter
>

> -------- Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht --------

and I'm planning to use Open Source Software documentation as a "real world" writing task
for my Technical Writing Students this semester. I noticed your project was looking for documentation
help on github and thought I would reach out. Some things you should know:

> - I'm not going to swamp you with student pull requests. Students will file their drafts
with me, first, and then I will pass them on to you only if I think they have a reasonably
good end product, and I have an ok from the project
> - At most two or three students might work on a given project
>
> I was wondering:
>
> - If you would be interested in seeing the documentation drafts students produce
> - If there was any particular area of documentation you were particularly in need of
>
> Thanks so much for your time!
> ?
> ---
> Andy Famiglietti, PhD
> Assistant Professor of English, West Chester University
> http://copyvillain.org<http://copyvillain.org/>

Peter;
The status of our documentation is the same as it has been for at least
the last 3 years; at a standstill. We do not have people that are
willing to shepherd the documentation, are willing to work on the mwiki
and have the knowledge of technical writing to mentor the occasional
volunteers we get that need a lot of hand holding to get started.

From my reading of professor Famiglietti's e-mail on doc@ I am unsure
whether what he is suggesting would be of help or not. I have tried 3 or
4 different times to get the documentation sub-project active and
working with no success and I do not have the energy nor the inclination
to beat my head against that brick wall again.

I will commit to reply to professor Famiglietti on doc@ and explain
where we are at with the User Guides and what help he thinks he and his
students could provide.

Regards
Keith