openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Windows developent plan
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2018 23:22:54 GMT
Am 07.02.2018 um 22:13 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> I would like to bring up 2 future issues we will have.
> # Java : Soon Java 8 will run out of support. Do we need to "migrate" to
> 9 for 4.2.0?
>
> # If so it would mean for windows that we need to migrate to 64 bit.
>
> # The MSVC2008 will run out in April. We need to upgrade here too.
>
> In what order would make it sense to tackle those Issues?
>
> 1) 64 transformation
> 2) upgrade from MSVC2008
> 3) upgrade code base to Java 9

if you really want to limit to these 3 topics only, than I would tackle
it in the following order:

1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
This seems to be the easiest task (hopefully) as an updated build needs
to be tested only.

2. Upgrade to Java 9
Even here I would expect an short list of todos due to the migration.

3. Win 64-bit porting
This is for sure a complete new experience. Also, I would accept a 4.2.0
release still with Win 32-bit. And a future release than with Win 64-bit.

A possible alternative could be the following:

1. Upgrade from MSVC2008

2. Upgrade to Java 9

3. Keep Windows 32-bit with Java 8

4. Windows 64-bit transformation + Java 9

My 2 ct.

Marcus