openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:54:17 GMT
Am 06.06.2018 um 21:37 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Jun 6, 2018, at 3:21 PM, Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 06.06.2018 um 19:21 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> Let's not focus on CentOS5 vs CentOS6 for now... the issue is that gstreamer-1.0
requires that previously supported Linux OSs and platforms will no longer be supported; that
is, our community builds will no longer work for them.

>> sure, it's about the platform we now need to use. When gstreamer is no longer working
with the old CentOS5 system, then let's update it.

>> That's what I want to express, not more or less.
>>

> No, it's about what platforms we now provide community binaries for.

I think we talk about the same thing but don't understand each other.
;-) OK, let's go on.

> To be explicit: With the jump to 4.2.x, we will no longer be supporting older Linux platforms
that we DID support w/ 4.1.x. This is all about what we change regarding what platforms we
provide community builds for (and thus "officially" support). If we say that all Linux platforms
that are too old to use gstreamer-1.x (eg: CentOS5, but actually it's a kernel dependency)
are no longer officially supported, GREAT. But let's just make sure that is our decision.

> I actually thought one of the considerations of this project was to support as many older
platforms as possible... if that is NOT the case, then again, we need to make that decision
explicitly. WHAT is our backwards compatibility/support roadmap for 4.2.x??

Yes, "as possible". But when our effort is somewhen to high to support
the older things, then move on and leave them behind us. Mostly the
vendor has already given up much earlier. ;-)

But as I'm not a developer I cannot estimate how difficult it is to go
on as it is today.

Marcus