openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From toki <toki.kant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IBM Plex font
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:30:02 GMT
On 2018-08-09 7:15 p.m., Howard Cary Morris wrote:

> It would seem to me that we should  limit fonts to those on the user’s computer plus
those we can load from google (provided the internet is up). That would be simplest with least
overhead. (Any  other font available via internet would also be OK.) Drawback, if when the
user re-edits the file, the internet or site is down might cause some problems.

One of the virtues of extensions, is that they can be constructed to
automatically install fonts that can be utilised by AOo. As such, why
not create an extension for this, or any other font that is proposed.

The biggest issue with extensions delivering fonts, is that font
families can be huge. NoTo Font Family clocks in at just under 1.1 GB in
size.  Granted, this is an exception, because it attempts to cover every
glyph in Unicode 6.0 (I say attempts to, because some glyphs in Unicode
6.0 are arguably missing.)

jonathon