openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IBM Plex font
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2018 01:41:15 GMT
On 8/9/18, Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

> even when it looks nice, is great with scaling and also compatible with
> the AL, I'm wondering what a good purpose could be? Adding a new font
> without any reason would just increase the install size about some
> megabytes (when I see this right at [1]).
>
> [1] https://github.com/IBM/plex/releases/tag/v1.1.3
>
> Marcus

One of the reasons I always selected StarOffice, besides supporting
the then-parent-company behind OpenOffice.org (Sun Microsystems) was
the addition of clipart and fonts.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=29652&seqNum=5

"Font stuff: There are new "metrically compatible" TrueType Microsoft
Windows core fonts. Font substitution is better. You can set up font
substitution with a new improved algorithm that makes the matching
better, including across platforms."

Back to the IBM font... it´s
 OpenType.zip is 3.82 MB
 TrueType.zip is 4.46 MB

I just downloaded TrueType.zip from the github project page,
decompressed it to its own subfolder, and recompressed it to 7zip
format using p7zip -mx9 (maximum compression). The resulting packaged
size is 2MB

2MB doesn´t seem like a killer size increase to me...

Just my two cents worth...
FC