openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Cary Morris <howard_cary_mor...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Technical question regarding line wrapping with bidirectional text
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2018 15:46:32 GMT
This is how I do it in practice. Open office knows which fonts or parts of fonts is “rtl”
versus “ltr”.  So if I want to insert Hebrew in the middle of an English document, I insert
special (Hebrew) characters from the David font into the document. However, I never tried
this over a line break, but I assume it will work reasonably well by making blocks of the
two directions and keeping them together.

Howard

________________________________
From: Cosmin Apreutesei <cosmin.apreutesei@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 8:27:09 AM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Technical question regarding line wrapping with bidirectional text

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an answer to a dilemma I have about text layouting and
I was wondering if I might get some thoughts about how that's done in
OO Write.

In short, the Unicode Bidi Algorithm requires that reordering of mixed
RTL/LTR text runs be done after line breaking. But the line wrapping
algorithm needs to know which text runs go first/last on each line in
order to compute the line width, because there might be diff. amount
of whitespace between runs, so depending on the order of the runs
within the line, the line will have a diff. width. Looks like a
chicken-egg problem and I can't figure it out. Why is this not a
problem in any bidi-enabled text editor? How is that solved in
practice?

Thanks!